Our Seven Favorite Summertime Kid’s Activities
It’s a hot summer in North Texas! Get your kids off their screens with these fun outdoor activities. But don’t forget – make sure they drink as much water as they want before heading outside, apply plenty of sunscreen, take breaks, and keep an eye out for signs of dehydration or heat exhaustion.
- Plant a garden: This hands-on activity will keep kids involved from start to finish, letting them enjoy the fruits of their labor. They can choose what to plant, maintain the plants through watering and weeding, and watch their hard work come to life! We love this step-by-step plan from Quiet Hut.
- Create a backyard splash park: Hook up free-standing sprinklers, load some water balloons, or even create your own slip-n-slide. Invite your child’s friends over and make a day of it.
- Make a homemade bird feeder: The options are endless! This is a fun way to learn about local birds and get kids excited about nature.
- Visit a local farmer’s market: Fresh produce and veggies are a summertime treat. Find a farmer’s market near you and pick out some yummy seasonal finds, then go home and make a meal together. This will get your kids excited to cook and it teaches them that fresh food is the best food! Click here to access the USDA’s searchable database, or check out this list of marketing in the DFW area:
Downtown Arlington Farmers Market
Colleyville Farmer’s Market
Cowtown Farmers Market
Elizabeth Anna’s Local Farm & Market
Grapevine Farmers Market
Keller Farmers Market
Southside Urban Farmers Market
Carrollton Square Community Farmers Market
Celebration Farmers Market
Coppell Farmers Market
Cox Farms Market in Duncanville
Dallas Farmers Market
Eden’s Organic Garden Center
Four Seasons Market
Grand Prairie Farmers Market
White Rock Local Market
- Create a nature scavenger hunt: Get your kids outside and exploring the world around them with this scavenger hunt. Pack plenty of water and snacks and make an afternoon of it! Let them take photos to save for later.
- Backyard movie night: Wait until the sun (and the temperature) goes down and enjoy a movie night outside! Check out this simple DIY setup and you’ll be running your own theater in no time.
Summer’s Best Events in North Texas
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite events happening this summer in North Texas. Read on to learn more and make your summer plans!
- Movie Nights in Sundance Square Plaza, Now-July 14
- Thursday on the Rocks at The Foundry District, June 21, July 5
- Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra presents Concerts in the Garden: Star Wars and Beyond – A Laser Light Spectacular, June 15-17
- Dive-In Movies at Hawaiian Falls, June 15-26
- Fort Worth Margarita Festival, June 16
- Taste of Fort Worth, June 16
- Eagles in concert with Chris Stapleton, June 23
- Twilight Tunes Concert Series,Thursdays through June 28
- Denton Wine Walk, June 27
- Late Night $1 Bowling, Wednesdays at University Lanes
- Dallas Arboretum presents Cool Thursdays Concert Series, Now-October 25
- Dallas Summer Musicals present, The Lion King, Now-July 17
- North Texas Black Restaurant Week, June 16-23
- Taste of Dallas, June 22-24
A Big “THANK YOU” to Manara Academy
This May, the students and families from Manara Academy, the first Expeditionary Learning [EL] school in Texas, partnered with Tarrant Regional Water District for an all-hands-on-deck cleanup of Trinity Park. Thank you for helping us to reverse litter and keep our community clean!